Schrafft’s at the Esso Building, 1948

Looked like a midcentury lunchroom on the West 51st St. side, and a Danish-Modern cocktail lounge from the West 52nd St. entrance. One of the larger Schrafft’s, it not only ran through the block but had two levels.

It opened in the mid-40s while the Esso Building was being completed at 75 Rockefeller Plaza, and seems to have closed about thirty years later.

Originally Rock Plaza was intended to extend to West 53rd Street, but the developers were unable to buy out the ’21’ Club on the south side of the , across from what would become the north entrance of Schrafft’s, and a stone’s throw from Toots Shor.

Comments on this entry are closed.